Saturday, August 14, 2010

Creativity at the Fair

OMG where did all those people come from? Small people, big people, wheelchairs, strollers, walkers, wagons. Made for hard to get around at the Iowa State Fair. We were there 4 hours and it was time to go back home! Thank God we rode the shuttle so we didn't have to pay for parking and only a $2 round trip bus ride. A shower and a nap--now sitting down to eating pizza and life is good again!
 I did see some wonderful quilts. I even found a place where they had a sew in where they were making quilts for charity. They were strip piecing some quilts which was nice for people to come in and sew alittle while and when the quilt gets completed they give them to children in hospitals. Ed and I found the place that I like to drool over the machines and the people were quite pleasant this year. One of the guys there told me he would help me if I needed my machine worked on and would help me to thread my serger for $50 an hour. It would be alot cheaper for me to go to Ames where I bought it for a lesson if I get the time. There was a couple machines there for $4G that was the long arm for quilting. They were really nice, but I am not ready to shell out that much for another machine. I can across the Blue Ribbon quilts and this was my favorite.

I doubt that I could make one like that, but this was inspirational. One lady had hand quilted a king size quilt that was just so detailed and perfect. I wonder how long it took her to quilt it. It took me a year to get my dog and cat king size quilt completed so I can just imagine how long it took a person to hand quilt. I will finally get to use my dog and cat quilt this winter. I finished it this spring then using it one night we realized it is definetly going to be a winter quilt! I am looking forward to it this year. Now I am going back to making my blocks. One of these days I will put them in a quilt but right now I am enjoying trying different blocks.

2 comments:

  1. ooo that quilt is pretty! :)

    So had fun at the fair huh?! lol, glad to see you blogging again! This is getting my sewing itch back on again... hmm... maybe when the kids are in school and I've got nothing better to do!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks :-) Yes we went to the fair. Your Dad said that took care of his fair itch for the next couple of years :-) It was okay but hot and too many people but I loved seeing all the quilts and your Dad seen a couple of old friends. Not to mention the food... ahhh fair food!!!

    ReplyDelete